Mentone Coastal Precinct Plan
In 2007 the City of Kingston initiated a Coastal Management Plan aimed at the preservation and development of the unique coastal identity of Kingston’s foreshore. The plan identified five Precincts that require the development of master plans, with an emphasis on
- Foreshore Activity Precincts,
- Key Access Routes,
- Key Observation Points and
- Alongshore Key Access Routes.
This project addresses the Mentone Foreshore Precinct from Charman Road in the north to Naples Road in the south. Key guiding principles include:
- Protecting our coastline for future generations to enjoy
- Striking a balance between natural conservation and activity
- Enhancing leisure opportunities in the context of creating community spaces and social connectivity for all age groups
- Maintaining Kingston’s unique foreshore setting and not emulating more urban coastline developments.
In addition, Council Officers desire to improve drainage and reduce coastal scouring by improving drainage and outfall at the Naples Road main drain.