Mary Jeavons was a key presenter at the recent Kidsafe WA seminar Playscapes in Public Spaces in Perth Oct 25, 2012.
Marys presentation on the design of public play spaces emphasised ways of adding value to public play spaces in parks, even if budgets are tight. These points are particularly relevant as ways to add value where standard off-the-shelf play equipment is used in parks.
Ten key design features that MAXIMISE PLAY value in parks
1. social and inclusive design
2. opportunities to explore and discover beyond designated boundaries
3. available natural elements and loose materials
4. some open ended design features
5. opportunities for varying levels of climbing and risk taking
6. provide for key forms of movement-swinging, rocking, spinning
7. chose flexible, adaptable and multi-purpose elements that maximise the number of users who can participate
8. beneficial physical relationship between elements will maximise the value of each
9. spatial complexity
10. a ‘signature’ feature, or some inherent magical or memorable quality